Title

Title

Saturday, July 20, 2013

FORP - Final day

And oh my what a day!  Today I can very happily tell you that we, as a group, completed one functional bench.  And it is the grandmother of all Roubo style workbenches.  There may have been a Roubo style workbench of these proportions at some time in history..  But I would bet that there has never been, nor ever will be, a bench this fantastically immense built in the U.S. in the last 50 years or more, if ever.  Especially in Barnesville, GA,  this is by far one of the greatest things I have experienced in my life.

I present to you, my Internet woodworking friends, the FORP bench owned by Bo Childs.  She was born at 16 feet long, 27 inches wide and nearly 6 inches thick, weighing roughly 1200 pounds fully assembled.

It was truly an honor and a thrill to be apart of this bench's birth into the world.  A birth that started over 200 years ago.  It makes me feel so special to have my name on this unique piece of history.

I am I love with this bench!  Is that so wrong?

I kinda feel like I am cheating on my new bench (I still love you, my darling!). But I know she understands.  These French girls are not jealous.  Here is my sweet bench all tucked away and ready for the voyage home.  I really don't have much more to do, but I wanted to make sure I was able to help with the final push on Bo's bench and to do my part to clean up.

I will end this here for tonight for I am truly exhausted.  I will post at least once more about this project and also when my bench is complete.  For now, good night folks!

No comments: