Title

Title

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Odd woodworking related injuries

It has been two weeks since I have set foot in my shop for reasons other than finding a tool for a friend to borrow.  Two weeks of not doing much of anything but parked on the sofa with ice packs and wraps.

Two weeks ago, I was working on a simple little wine rack on my new bench.  My new bench is about 4 inches or so shorter than my old bench.  So when I had to saw out some half blind dovetails on an extreme angle, I was forced to drop to a knee to do it. Not really any big deal, usually.  But I must have come down to hard on it or landed on a wood chip or something.  I barely remember any of this because I was "in the zone."  You know how that is.  You are working away and things are coming together nicely and you are feeling that thrill of another completed project on the horizon.  You might nick your thumb with a chisel or smash it with a mallet.  "Ouch" or a colorful "adult" word is all you say and keep working without much thought.  Later that day or the next day you wonder why your thumb hurts so bad.  Yep, that's me.  Do it all the time.

The next day I had an awful pain in my knee cap and I have been nursing that for 2 weeks.  I finally broke down and went to the Doc a few days later and he said it was a case of "Milkmaid's Knee" or Prepatellar Bursitis for the official term.  Nothing serious, mostly inflammation.  But it sure was sore.

Today it seems to feeling much better and I am itching to get down to the shop.  However my wife has informed me that we need to go do some shopping for the baby's room today, so I might not make it down there.  But I am eyeballing tomorrow with more lust than I care to mention.

So what about you?  What kind of odd woodworking injuries have you sustained over the years?  Most of mine are incision based as I usually cut my hands and fingers up like a blind butcher.  I didn't expect to injure my knee while sawing out dovetails.  But I will be sure to pay more attention next time!

Take care out there!

RICE!!  Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation

No comments: