Title

Title

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Mahogany jewelry box - Part 7

Short post today. But other than installing a few accessories for the drawers, I am calling this project almost finished.

This weekend I was able to complete the finish on the box. The finishing schedule:
2 coats of 50/50 mix of BLO and mineral spirits.
After that was dry, a quick sanding with 600 grit to knock down the grain and fuzz.
2 coats of garnet shellac thinned to about a 1 1/2 - 2 lb cut and brushed on.
Another quick sanding with 600 grit level and smooth.
2 more coats of garnet shellac, same cut, again brushed on.
Final sanding with 1000 grit this time, very lightly, just knocking off any nibs or fuzz and light leveling.
2 final coats of shellac, same cut, brushed on.
Some buffing with 0000 fine steel wool and mineral oil as a lubricant.
Finally the last coat is just some Johnson paste wax rubbed out.


Overall I am VERY pleased with this project. It has some flaws, yes. But I have learned to just identify them as character. I will do my best not to point any of these flaws to anyone who sees this box in person. haha.


Nice shot of the top.

My wife wanted a picture with some of the drawers pulled out.


I'll do one more post on this project after I get all the doo-dads installed. Not sure when I will get to give this box to its intended recipient, but I hope it is soon. The longer this thing stays in my house, the higher the chances of it never going anywhere...haha. My wife wants to keep it for herself. I have promised to make her one some day, maybe a much bigger one that is free standing. Maybe I can put my big boy pants on and try some cabriole legs for that.

Next up? Big stuff is in the works for this summer. I have a BIG BIG project coming up in July that I can't wait for. Excited is an understatement! I don't want to say too much, as I intend to do a separate blog post(s) about that. But to get ready for that project, I need to reconfigure my shop. So my next project(s) will be some much needed shop upgrades and some re-configuring. So stay tuned for that!

I just want to say thanks so much to everyone who has read along and expressed interest in this project. I had so much fun with this one and I am glad I decided to share the journey. Take care!

3 comments:

Brian Eve said...

Nicely done. The finish really brings out the grain on the carcase. Whoever gets it should be pleased.

Jeff Branch said...

Very nice. Handsome wood and design.

Timothy Henriksen said...

Great job Justin!! the box/chest looks great! Love the finish and love the base.